French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Program
Call for applications
The French Institutes for Advanced Study Fellowship Programme offers 10-month fellowships in the six Institutes of Aix-Marseille, Loire Valley, Lyon, Montpellier, Nantes and Paris. It welcomes applications from high level international scholars and scientists primarily in the fields of the social sciences and the humanities (SSH).
Available positions for the 2023-2024 academic year :
- Aix-Marseille: 4
- Loire Valley (Orléans-Tours): 3
- Lyon: 10
- Montpellier: 3
- Nantes: 4
- Paris: 13
The call is open to all disciplines in the SSH and all research fields. Research projects from other sciences that features a transversal dialogue with SSH are also eligible. It is highly recommended to check the Institutes webpages to learn more about their focus, scientific priorities and partners.
The Fellows will benefit from the support and conducive scientific environment offered by the IAS characterized by an interdisciplinary cohort of fellows and a close relation to the local research potential. The fellows will be free to organize their work and conduct research as they wish.
FIAS awards fellowships to outstanding researchers of all career levels, from postdoctoral researchers to senior scientists. The minimum requirement is a PhD + 2 years of research experience at the time of the application. Exception will be made for scholars with a Master + 6 years of full-time research experience after the degree (PhD training will not be considered in the calculation of experience).
Researchers from all countries are eligible to the FIAS Fellowship Programme but they must have spent no more than 12 months in France during the three years prior to the application deadline.
The scientific selection is competitive, merit-based and conducted through an international independent peer review.
The 2023-2024 Calendar of implementation
- April 15th, 2022: opening of the application platform
- June 2nd, 2022, 6:00 pm (Paris, France time): application deadline
- June 2022: eligibility check
- July-October 2022: double peer review
- November 2022: preselection by the FIAS Selection Committee (communication of preselection results, December 2022)
- January – February 2023: selection of fellows by IAS Scientific Advisory Boards and communication of results
More details can be found in the guide for applicants.
FIAS fellowships offer the following conditions:
- A net living allowance (equivalent to take-home pay) of €2,700 per month *
- Two flexible contractual options, considering individual situations: work contracts or paid leave*
- Adequate social security coverage
- Accommodation or support for relocation
- An individual research and training budget equivalent to €2,500 per year
- Travel expenses (one round trip from the fellow home country)
- Same working conditions as the IAS’ other fellows, including individual offices, special access and lending privileges in university-based research libraries, IT services, multiple collective spaces
- Skills training opportunities
*For further information, you may refer to the guide for applicants section and the FAQ.
For information specific to each IAS, please check the Institute dedicated pages.
How to apply
The application is to be completed exclusively via the FIAS website. The dedicated tool will be available online on April 15th, 2022.
Before applying, please verify if you respect the eligibility conditions, and read carefully the guide for applicants.
The requested application material (in English exclusively) will consist of:
- The completed online application form
- A detailed curriculum vitae with a comprehensive list of publications
- A copy of the diploma
- A detailed research proposal (maximum 5 pages and a bibliography – 1 additional page)
- A selection of three to five publications (articles or book chapters)
- A letter of support/interest by an IAS’s local scientific partner -only requested and mandatory for Le Studium (Loire Valley IAS), for the Collegium de Lyon, for MAK’IT (Montpellier IAS), and for the Paris IAS.
- Optional:Up to two letters of recommendation
For further information, you may refer to the FAQ.
For more information please open this link